12 Best Bath Toys for Babies & Toddlers
Who would have thought — before having kids — how magical the bathroom could be?
No, not because you can lock yourself in there to hide from your kids (we all know that doesn’t work anyway), but because when it’s bath time (and trust me, any time can become bath time), the bath tub transforms into the ultimate playroom for my kids.
It keeps my kids and their toys self-contained, and when playtime is over, those toys actually stay right in the tub, where they belong.
Oh yeah, and my kids are clean.
It was particularly nice for me because my daughters were (well, still are) 23 months apart. They spent literally years always taking their baths together, and I honestly think that sometimes it was their favorite part of the day. They’d giggle like crazy and transform into little mermaids, while I got a chance to sit and relax a little bit.
Here are 12 bath toys that kick bath time an extra notch and keep your kids happily occupied in their magical playroom even longer.
Light Up Whale with Spray Spout
This is an adorable cartoon whale toy with and water spray function and colorful flashing lights.
It comes with a 1500 mAh rechargeable battery that provides up to 150 minutes of playtime when fully charged. (It does take six hours to charge, so you do have to plan ahead.)
I know “battery” and “toy that goes in the water” sounds like a strange combination. This toy has a special double-Layer waterproof design that prevents the battery from getting wet.
- Rechargeable battery for a longer service life
- 1500 mAh battery capacity that lasts up to 150 minutes
- Cute whale design with colorful flashing lights
- Charging time might be longer
- Water spray function may not last as expected
- Charging port design can be cumbersome
Skip Hop Baby Bath Zoo Stack & Pour Buckets
These five buckets come with three different sprinkle effects, making them perfect for sensory play. They’re also the perfect size for little hands, helping to build motor skills while your child has fun.
When bath time is over, the buckets can be stacked and stored easily (see photo), so they’re not taking up space and laying all over your tub.
Amazon reviewer MadCarlotta says this toy helped her one year get over her fear of the bathtub:
…. I bought these for [my daughter] as a special treat – a new toy to celebrate her transition from baby tub to regular tub. She’s been fearful and resistant about baths since birth, only recently getting more comfortable in her baby tub. So I honestly wasn’t looking forward to moving her into the regular tub.
But buying this, along w/ a fab Rubbermaid x-long tub mat (bought here on Amazon and highly recommended), a Skip Hop brand elbow rest and spout cover, and a waterproof baby doll … nothing helped my daughter get comfy and excited about bath time more than this … This toy captivated her attention so much that she forgot her apprehension about water and the tub and sat in the water for a good 30 minutes picking these cups up and watching the water stream out of the holes on the bottom. I noticed she was enjoying visually comparing the cups, apparently quite tickled at watching the different speeds at which the water poured out of the cups (due to different sized holes.)
This is a simple toy but sometimes simple toys are the most fun for kids …
- The friendly-faced nesting buckets feature three different sprinkle effects for bath time fun.
- Perfectly sized for little hands, they provide endless tub time play while helping to build motor skills.
- Kids can drain water in a variety of ways, then stack and store when bath time’s done.
- The buckets are small, so they may not hold as much water as some other bath toys.
- Some parents have reported that the buckets can be difficult to clean.
- While the buckets are stackable for easy storage, they may not fit well in some bath toy organizers.
G-WACK Interactive Monkey Caterpillar Bathtub Toy
This set of bath toys features brightly colored monkeys, bugs, and stars that rotate and spit water when poured with water. The water also flows through multiple pipes, creating a beautiful waterfall that drives the windmill to rotate.
If you prefer, you can purchase this with a pink caterpillar instead of a green one, if you have a child who loves pink toys. You can also opt for one of the sets that come with extra floating toys, like sea creatures or jungle animals.
- Encourages motor skills and hand-eye coordination development
- Safe for toddlers with smooth edges and no batteries required
- Dual strong suction cups that stick to flat and smooth surfaces
- Suction cups may not work on all surfaces
- Waterfall feature may not be very strong
MARPPY Bathtub Basketball Hoop
This bath toy includes four soft balls, a basketball hoop (dimensions 5.5 by 5.5 by 2 inches) with two strong suction cups, a mesh bag to dry toys quickly, and an air pump.
- The set comes with four soft balls that are easy for toddlers to grip and throw.
- The suction cups are strong and stick to any flat surface, making it easy to set up and play with.
- Encourages toddlers to develop their motor skills, coordination, and precision.
- The hoop is small, so it may be difficult for younger toddlers to score.
- The balls are soft and may not be as durable as harder plastic balls.
- The air pump that comes with the set may not be very effective.
Green Toys Submarine Bath toy with Spinning Rear Propeller
This toy submarine is with 100% recycled plastic milk jugs, so it’s both eco-friendly and safe for your child.
The submarine features a spinning rear propeller and a flat bottom that provides stability, making it easy to play with. The classic handle also helps your child maintain a strong grip while scooping and pouring.
- Made with 100% recycled plastic milk jugs, BPA-free, Phthalate-free, and PVC-safe, making it safe for your child and the environment
- Easy to clean with a cabin that can be opened and is dishwasher-safe
- Features a spinning rear propeller and a classic handle that helps improve your child’s pincer grip
- Some users reported that the top can open easily, which could be a choking hazard
- A few users found it to be smaller than expected
- The spinning rear propeller doesn’t spin very fast, which may not be as exciting for some children
Nuby Floating Purple Octopus Interactive Bath Toy
The Octopus Hoopla is a floating bath toy with 3 rings that encourages interactive play.
(He’s kind of a mutant octopus who only has has six tentacles. If you’re like me and get annoyed by things being “wrong” like that, you can name him Hexapus.)
Several reviewers said that this doubles as a great teething toy as well.
- The Octopus Hoopla encourages interactive play and helps develop hand-eye coordination.
- The vibrant colors and different textures engage your child’s senses and help them recognize shapes.
- The toy is made of soft and flexible materials that are BPA-free and designed to avoid mold issues.
- Some parents may find the toy to be smaller than expected.
- The rings may be difficult for younger children to place on the tentacles.
Ubbi Boat & Buoys
This bath toy set includes one blue boat and four red and white buoys that can be stacked up on the two funnels, allowing for endless fun both inside and outside of the tub.
It’s part of a larger nautical collection that includes:
One thing that reviewers liked about this boat was that it stayed afloat, even when you put other toys inside it. Click here to see a photo of Moana and her friends going for a little boat ride.
- The silicone boat and buoys are soft to the touch and great for little hands.
- The rain effect created by the drain holes adds an extra level of fun to bath time.
- The set is dishwasher-safe, making it easy to clean.
- Some reviewers have noted that the rings aren’t round all the way around, making them difficult to empty of water.
- The rings may sink once they have water in them.
- The toy may seem overly simplistic for older toddlers.
Munchkin® Float & Play Bubbles™ Baby and Toddler Bath Toy
Each of these floating bath bubbles has a unique center toy that rattles, bobbles, shines, and spins. The colorful rings move freely around the bubbles, providing lots of textures and movement for your little one to explore.
- Stimulates baby’s senses of sight, hearing, and touch
- Helps teach hand-eye coordination
- Textured rings provide additional sensory exploration
- Only includes two characters and two whirly toys
- May leak water after extended use
3 Bees & Me Magnet Boat Set
This set includes four magnetic boats, each clearly numbered from 1-4 that all link together to form a kind of, uh … “boat train.”
- The set includes four boats in one, making it an excellent value for money.
- The boats are designed to be easy to grip and are built to last.
- The set is educational and helps toddlers learn about colors and numbers while enhancing their motor skills and imagination.
- The magnets that connect the boats are not very strong, and the boats may come apart during play.
- The boats are on the smaller side, and some toddlers may find them too small to play with comfortably.
- The boats do not float very well, and may sink to the bottom of the tub.
Nuby 5-Piece Splish Splash Stacking Cups
These five colorful cups are perfect for stacking, filling, and pouring out, encouraging coordination while teaching shape and color recognition.
They’re easy to stack and pack, so you can it’s easy to bring them along on a family vacation, a weekend at Grandma’s, or a day at the beach or pool. They’re also probably the most budget-friendly toy on this list.
If you really want to go one extra step, you can buy the Splash Cups and Wacky Waterworks that suctions on to the tub wall.
- The five colorful cups make bath time fun and educational for babies and toddlers.
- The cups are easy to stack, fill, and pour out, encouraging learning development and coordination while teaching shape and color recognition.
- The cups are made of BPA-free materials.
- Some parents have reported that the cups are smaller than they expected.
- The cups may not hold water very well, making them less effective as pouring toys.
Honeysticks Bath Crayons for Kids
My daughters used to love painting the tub and tile (and each other) with a shaving cream and food coloring mixture that I’d create for them.
The only problem? It would sometimes leave color stains.
These bath crayons, on the other hand, are made from a water-soluble crayon material that easily wipes off most non-porous surfaces. (However, some reviewers said it was very difficult to clean, so maybe there are no easy solutions to this problem.)
They come in seven different colors and contain no paraffin wax or added fragrance.
One thing that’s particularly nice is that they come in a resealable canister with drain holes for easy storage. It’s just slightly smaller than a soda can. (See photo here.)
- Made from natural and food-grade ingredients
- Comes in seven different colors
- Easy to hold and use
- May leave residue on some surfaces
- Some users reported mold growth on the crayons
- Colors may not apply well on wet surfaces
Munchkin® Bath Bobbers Baby and Toddler Bath Toy
If you’re old enough to remember Weebles toys (I had this toy boat when I was a kid), these bath toys are a similar concept.
They’re lightweight and super cute. I could see these being a toy that a child would use a lot both in and out of the tub.
- The bobbers come in a polar bear and penguin design, which is perfect for imaginative play.
- They are lightweight and easy for little hands to operate.
- The bobbers help to develop motor skills.
- The recommended age is 6 months and up, so they may not be suitable for younger babies.
- Some parents have reported that the bobbers don’t always stay upright in the water.
- The price point is a little higher than other similar bath toys on the market.
Bath Toy FAQs
How do I choose the best bath toys for my toddler?
Safety, of course, should always be the top priority. Look for toys that are BPA-free, phthalate-free, and non-toxic.
It’s also important to choose toys that are age-appropriate and easy for your toddler to handle.
What are some popular bath toy brands for toddlers?
If you’re looking for even more bath toy options, you can look at the pages for these companies:
Are there any bath toys that can help with sensory development for toddlers?
Yes, there are many bath toys that can help with sensory development for toddlers. Toys that provide tactile stimulation, such as textured balls and squishy toys, can help develop your toddler’s sense of touch. Toys that provide visual stimulation, such as water wheels and light-up toys, can help develop your toddler’s sense of sight.