15 Best Climbing Toys for Toddlers: 1, 2, and 3 Year Olds
We all know that toddlers have an endless supply of energy and curiosity. They love to explore and climb on everything within their reach.
As parents, it
can drive you crazy be challenging to keep up with their adventurous spirit, keep them out of things that they shouldn’t be into, and keep them safe, while still feeding that energy and curiosity.
I did several hours of research to compile this list of the best climbing toys for toddlers that will keep them safely entertained and engaged while promoting their physical development.
From foam blocks for babies and younger toddlers to outdoor obstacle courses to slides with basketball hoops attached, there’s something for all sizes and needs.
Baoniu Foldable Climbing Triangle Ladder
This climbing set is made from high-quality eco-wood, making it very safe for kids to play on. It includes ladders on both sides, a climbing side, and a slide, providing lots of different ways to have fun.
Assembly takes about 20 minutes, and an Allen key is included.
Reviewers loved how this jungle gym was not only durable, but is also beautiful to look at, with the natural wood finish giving it it a classic look that’s way better that your typical bright-colored, plastic play equipment.
- The Baoniu climbing triangle set is made from 100% natural, BPA-free, non-toxic and odourless eco-wood, ensuring your child plays and grows in a safe environment.
- With multiple modes of play, including ladders on both sides, a climbing side, and a slide, the Baoniu climbing triangle set provides endless hours of fun and excitement for your toddler.
- The Baoniu climbing triangle set is easy to assemble, coming with fully detailed assembly instructions and tools, so you can assemble it in less than 20 minutes using the Allen key (included).
- The bridge in the set is quite thin and may not be as sturdy as the other pieces.
- The knob on the triangle is small and may not be as easy to grip for some toddlers.
- Some users have reported that the installation process can be time-consuming (and/or that the instructions were terrible) and may require some additional tools.
Eezy Peezy Monkey Bars Climbing Tower
This climbing tower is surprisingly lightweight and easy to assemble, making it easy to transport and set up in different places as needed.
Amazon Vine Voice Sam B. gave an extremely thorough review of this toy:
…. after looking at multiple dome-shaped climbers, we went with this one and we’re happy we did. For starters, the whole thing is pretty easy to set up.
You get a big box of tubes and connectors with some instructions. The instruction booklet is laid out weird so I just tossed aside several of the pages until I found the assembly diagram – All of the connectors and tubes are labeled so you know exactly what tube goes where. Once you get the base tube sections assembled, it’s pretty intuitive from there. The instructions guide you through assembling the climber in chunks, then connecting those chunks to make the whole thing. I was worried that the climber would have some flex to it when fully assembled but by the time I was down to the last tube put on, I could tell that that wouldn’t be an issue …
When looking around at other options, we took our kids to an outdoor equipment store and let them climb on everything. Though made of metal, the bigger domes had too large of a space between the bars to where our kids could’t climb to the top – this one is the perfect size for our kids right now and I can tell by the quality that it will last our kids for several years.
– heavy-duty plastic components
– easy assembly (aside from the stiff buttons)
– all pieces are labeled so you know what goes where
– easy to follow assembly diagram
– great size for smaller kids – probably about 3 to 8-ish depending on how big they are – and even bigger kids can still have fun climbing under it as a “fort”.
-Pins/buttons on the connectors can be stiff and hard to push down to get the tubes on
-Stiff pins/buttons can lead to pinched fingers and subsequent swearing around children during assembly
– The labels on the tubes are just stickers so if you have a destructive or OCD child, the stickers will be gone instantly and you won’t know what tube is what when you take it apart unless you sort the tubes by length.
This thing was a hit with my kids at Christmas this year – they love climbing on it and throwing blankets over the top to make a fort. It’s big enough that my 45″ tall 5 year old can climb on it but small enough that it fits in our “family room” (aka kids playroom) downstairs …
Note: If you do purchase this climbing tower, be sure to read this detailed review giving advice and several photos about the assembly process.
- Your child will enjoy endless fun and active playtime with this toy.
- The interlocking plastic tubes and connectors with double self-locking springs make this set hard-wearing and tough.
- The Eezy Peezy Monkey Bars Climbing Tower is made of high-quality plastic material that features UV protection for long-lasting outdoor play in the sun.
- Assembly is required.
- Anchors are not included.
- The size of the tower may not be ideal for larger families.
4-Piece Set Climbing Foam Play Set
The soft foam material on this toy is perfect for little ones to crawl, climb, and slide on, while the vinyl surface is easy to clean and maintain.
Amazon reviewer Diana wrote a very thorough of her experience with this toy:
I got these for my 13 mo but all my kids love them …
- This is very sturdy!
Four of my kids that weigh 70lbs, 65lbs, 40bs and 28lbs climb on it without it collapsing or caving under them. The foam is really thick and durable!
- All the kids love this toy. Even the older ones! It also holds their attention for quite awhile before they run off to play with something else. But they come back to it soon after.
- They are small enough to kind of stack in a corner if they are not being used. Also, they don’t take up a lot of space when they are being used.
- The material is well made and isn’t cheap so it won’t fall apart I dont think! Also the foam fills the outer shell whatever that is made of! So there isn’t any gaps. I’ve seen some reviews on other products similar to this where that was an issue.
- Doesn’t come with velcro. I put a playmat under them to stop them from slipping despite thr antislip base. I plan on buying velcro strips to hold them in place.
- I wish it came with a few more things to climb on. I went back to buy more but they are out of stock with it saying they don’t know if or when they will get more. So I guess I have to wait to see.
- The soft foam material is safe for children to play on and provides a low-impact surface.
- The vinyl surface is easy to clean and resistant to stains and wear.
- The bright and colorful shapes stimulate children’s attention and promote the development of their coordination and color recognition skills.
- The foam blocks may not be as durable as other materials.
- This toy might be too small for some family’s needs.
- The foam blocks may have a strong odor when first opened.
Costzon Wooden 3 in 1 Montessori Triangle Climber
This Montessori climbing toy is made of 100% natural wood materials, making it not only safer, but also more environmentally friendly than sets made with plastic materials. The ramp for sliding can be firmly fixed into the climbing ladder without wobbling, and the burr-free surface, smoothly rounded corners, and raised edges help protect our child’s safety when they slide.
Be sure the check the dimensions (the ramp is only 38.5 inches long and 15 wide) and make sure that it fits your needs. Somehow the photo makes it look bigger than it really is.
- The triangle climber uses 100% premium natural wood materials, making it safe and durable for kids to play with.
- You can adjust the angle of the sliding ramp, so kids of different ages to play and slide safely.
- Some of the wooden dowels were warped and screws were missing, which made assembly more difficult.
- The slide is smaller than it appears in the picture, so it might not be a good choice for older kids.
- The screws are made from soft metal, so they may strip easily if not handled carefully during assembly.
This is a climbing toy and building toy in one, since toddlers can rearrange the colorful foam blocks
to create imaginary worlds, buildings, and structures.
- The blocks are easy to assemble and rearrange in different configurations, stimulating your toddler’s creativity and imagination.
- Made from high-quality foam material, CMFYDAILY climbing blocks are durable and long-lasting.
- CMFYDAILY climbing blocks are certified safe by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and comply with all safety standards.
- The blocks are smaller than expected.
- The blocks slide around on hardwood floors.
- The blocks do not have Velcro to hold them together.
Avenlur Magnolia Waldorf Style Indoor Playground
This playground (which is designed for kids ages 2-6 years old) offers a mini rock climbing wall, Swedish slide, monkey bars, rope ladder, wood ladder, and swing.
Amazon Reviewer RBJ what they liked and disliked about this toy, plus some advice;
- My boys (18 m & 2yr) love it!!!
- Easy to put together. Not sure what happened with the people who had trouble, but I just followed the directions and it took me about 3 hours.
- Feels very sturdy.
- Swing is trash. I got jungle gym rings to hang instead of the swing.
- Padding! I know they are coming out with padding like seen in the ad soon. But there is padding that is needed around the slide. If you have the slide set up where it goes through the jungle gym, your kids WILL hit their heads as they slide down.
- The rock wall pieces hurt. They are so hard.
- Don’t wear socks. I only let my sons climb with bare feet or with shoes on. Your asking for an emergency room visit if you let them climb with just socks. Slippery!
- The playground offers a variety of motor skill activities that keep children entertained for hours.
- The sturdy construction and low ground design make it easy for children to play and explore safely.
- Made from top-quality varnished wood, the playground is built to last for years to come.
- The swing’s placement doesn’t allow for much movement with the slide in place.
- It can be difficult to assemble at first.
- Some parents have reported concerns about the size of the top bars.
Step2 Panda Climber: Outdoor Toddler Activity Playset
This toy’s crawl-through tunnel, archway, fun slide, and stairway holes provide lots of opportunities for imaginative play, while the large platform level with a rail ensures added safety during playtime.
The manufacturer says this toy is only intended for outdoor use, but there were plenty of reviewers who said they had it set it up indoors, so take that for what it’s worth.
Amazon reviewer Mommy2Lillybug claims this is the best slide/climbing toy out there for kids aged 18 months through 3 years old:
… I researched a few other models, but ended up deciding on this one because of the curved yellow bar that snaps into the back of the climber, helping to enclose it and hopefully prevent falls…
Assembly was not bad, most of the pieces snapped together like a giant puzzle. It did take a little work to get one of the side pieces snapped into the standing platform, but keep in mind that these things are all manufactured in plastic molds, so the edges are not always going to be perfect. It popped in after some force was put forth … It’s your standard step by step list of pictures, with the parts labled A, B, C, D and so on. The screws were all included, and there were spots to screw them in, but no actual predrilled holes, so be prepared to put some muscle behind your screwdriver, or use an electric one.
We currently have this in our living room, and our living room is not large by any means. My daughter loves this thing, she climbs up it and goes down the slide all day long. She likes to put her pillows and stuffed animals in the little hidey hole underneath and crawl in there with them …
- The large platform level with a rail provides added safety during playtime.
- The crawl-through tunnel, archway, fun slide, and stairway holes offer plenty of creative climbing adventures.
- The durable poly construction wipes clean easily and lasts for years.
- Assembly can be a bit tricky and time-consuming.
- The ladder steps may be challenging for younger children.
Jugader 2X50ft Ninja Warrior Obstacle Course for Kids
This kit includes everything you need to create a complete ninja warrior obstacle course, including monkey bars, rope ladder, gym rings, and more. In addition, the slackline can also be used as a zipline, providing even more fun for your little ones.
One of the best things about this course is the unfixed clips with attachments position adjustment, which make it easy to customize the course to match the age and skill level of your child. The ratchet straps also make it easy to tension the line and ensure a secure and stable course.
- The kit includes everything you need for a complete ninja warrior obstacle course, including monkey bars, rope ladder, gym rings, and more.
- The slackline can also be used as a zipline, providing even more fun for your little ones.
- The unfixed clips with attachments position adjustment make it easy to customize the course to match the age and skill level of your child.
- The installation process can be a bit tricky and may require some assistance.
- The weight limit of 250 pounds may not be suitable for older children or adults.
- The rough metal clip may wear down the line over time.
- The set includes five different pieces that can be arranged in various combinations, providing endless possibilities for climbing, sliding, and balancing.
- Made from 100% natural wood, the set is non-toxic, odorless, and environmentally friendly, ensuring your child’s safety and health.
- The triangular structure of the climbing toys ensures stability and safety, and the smooth surface protects your child’s hands from injury.
- Assembly can take up to 40 minutes, and some parts may require two people to put together.
- The set is quite large and may take up a significant amount of space in your home.
- The weight limit of 150 pounds may not be sufficient for larger or older children.
- Equipped with climbing ladder, slide, basketball hoop, telescope toy and football goal, providing a lot of fun and learning opportunities for kids.
- Made of sturdy, non-toxic HDPE material that is built to last and can withstand kids’ rough play.
- Comes with safety features like raised castle guardrail and a deepen texture on the ladder to prevent slipping, ensuring your child’s safety while playing.
- The ball is not included, which might be disappointing for some kids who were expecting it.
- The price might be a bit expensive for some families.
- The 3-in-1 design provides multiple activities for your toddler to enjoy.
- The built-in storage makes it easy to keep everything organized.
- It’s a bit small, so it may not be suitable for larger toddlers.
- The basketball hoop can be a bit wobbly.
- The baseball bat tether is a bit short, so your toddler may have trouble hitting the ball.
- The jumping area is surrounded by three sides of mesh safety netting to protect children from falling while jumping.
- The bouncer is extra thick and has a large jumping area, which encourages major motor skill coordination in children.
- Set-up and take down is easily done in under 3 minutes, making it portable and perfect for the park, garage, backyard, etc.
- The product requires constant air flow, which can result in air leakage from all the seams.
- The blower is included, but it can be noisy.
- The bouncer isn’t for young toddlers; only kids 3 years old and up.
- Winner of the 2019 Parents’ Choice Award.
- Indoor or outdoor playset.
- Durable construction.
- Assembly required.
- May be too small for older children.
- Some parts may not fit together perfectly.
- The bright and vibrant colors of this playset will keep your child engaged and entertained for hours.
- The target dart wall with four safe sticky dart balls included adds a new level of fun to the playset.
- The entire play jungle gym pops up and opens in seconds, making assembly and storage a breeze.
- The ball pit balls are not included, so you will need to purchase them separately.
- This playset is not recommended for use on hard surfaces like concrete or pavement.
- The plastic balls can come out near the tunnel pretty easily.
- The easy climbing rock wall and gentle slope slide are perfect for beginners.
- The crawl tunnel and hideout add an extra element of excitement.
- The sturdy construction ensures that it can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- The climbing wall may be too short for taller toddlers.
- The steps leading up to the slide may be difficult for younger toddlers to navigate.
- The product may not be as durable as other climbing toys on the market.
- Physical development: Climbing toys help toddlers to develop their gross motor skills, balance, coordination, and strength.
- Cognitive development: Climbing toys can also help toddlers to develop their problem-solving and spatial awareness skills. As they navigate the climbing structure, they learn to plan their movements and make decisions about how to move from one point to another.
- Emotional development: When a child successfully climbs to the top of a structure or overcomes a challenging obstacle, they feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.
- Social development: While climbing, children can learn to take turns, share, and communicate with others as they play together on the climbing structure.
The set includes two climbing triangles, a climbing cube, and two sliding boards that can be combined in different ways to create new challenges and games. The reversible ramp can be used as a climbing ladder or slide, adding even more variety to playtime.
The high-quality wood material of the climbing toys is durable and sturdy, with paint, BPA-free construction We appreciated, and a smooth wood surface that keeps your kids from getting splinters. In addition, the triangular structure helps keep it stable.
Not only are extra screws, a screw driver and an extra Allen wrench included to help with assembly, but even gloves are included. (Although something to note: one reviewer recommends using a screw gun instead.)
That’s the good news about assembly. The bad news is that it could take you 45 minutes to assemble it, and you’ll probably need a helper, so be prepared to grab your spouse or your next-door neighbor.
Toddler Playground Set with Basketball Hoop
With this toy, kids can practice throwing and catching as well as climbing.
Be aware that the ball is not included, so you’ll have to take care of that yourself. Also, some reviewers said that the assembly directions were terrible and difficult to understand, so brace yourself.
Some users have reported that the assembly instructions could be better.
Step2 Sports-Tastic Activity Center Playset
This toy has a 3-in-1 design that provides plenty of activities to keep your little one entertained, including a basketball hoop, soccer goal, and tethered baseball bat. The extra-wide step and slide also help your toddler practice their balance and coordination.
It’s suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
Action air Bounce House, Inflatable Bouncer with Air Blower
The Action Air Bouncer is a great gift for toddlers and children. It’s perfect for indoor and outdoor use and can fit multiple children with a maximum weight of 250 pounds.
Simplay3 Young Explorers Adventure Climber
This playset (which was the winner of the 2019 Parents’ Choice Award) It’s great for both indoor and outdoor play, and it’s even small enough to fit through a standard door frame. The extra wide slide provides a more secure ride for toddlers and young children, while the easy grip side rails make it easy to climb up the ladder and onto the two-tiered platform. The crawl-through round doors lead to a secret fort with a steering wheel for pretend driving fun.
One really cool thing about the Simplay3 Young Explorers Adventure Climber (especially is you have plenty of space to work with) is that it’s part of a Modular Play System. Each playset can be enjoyed by itself or combined with other sets (like this clubhouse) to build a bigger playset.
Toddler Jungle Gym Play Tent with Ball Pit Tents and Tunnels
Do your kids love ball pits, but you hate all the germs of public play places? Not a problem! This ultra-durable and lightweight playset, made the soft polyester fabric and thick steel wiring, includes a ball pen (but not the balls; you have to buy those yourself).
Little Tikes Hide and Seek Climber
This toy is Amazon’s Choice in the category of “Little Tikes Outdoor Playsets.”
It includes an easy climbing rock wall, gentle slope slide, and crawl tunnel and hideout.
However, be sure to pay close attention to the dimensions. The “climbing wall,” for instance, is barely over a foot high, and the slide height is just under 20 under inches.
Learn how to make a DIY Climbing Arch here.
Climbing Toy FAQs
What are the Benefits of Climbing Toys
Here are some of the key benefits of climbing toys for toddlers:
Are Toddler Climbing Toys Safe?
They’re a lot more safe that having your 2 and 3 year old trying to climb your furniture!
Seriously, though — yes, toddler climbing toys can be very safe — if they are designed, installed, and used properly. Here are some key safety considerations:
Age-appropriate design: Make sure that the climbing toy is designed specifically for toddlers and is appropriate for their age and developmental level.
Sturdy construction: The climbing toy should be sturdy and well-constructed, with no sharp edges or corners that could cause injury.
Safe materials: The materials used in the climbing toy should be non-toxic and free from harmful chemicals.
Proper installation: If the climbing toy is installed outdoors or indoors, make sure it is installed properly and securely. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and ensure that the toy is anchored firmly to the ground or wall.
Supervision: Always supervise your toddler when they are playing on the climbing toy. Be ready to intervene if they are in danger or need help.
At what age should a toddler start climbing?
Toddlers can start climbing as early as 9-12 months old. At this age, climbing may involve pulling themselves up onto low surfaces such as a sofa or chair. As they get older and more mobile, they may start climbing on furniture or other objects around the house.
Of course, it’s important to remember that every child develops at their own pace. One of my children was walking at 9 months, while my youngest didn’t walk until he was almost 18 months.